Little Lottie: The Average Cleansers

Monday 2 June 2014

The Average Cleansers

Today is a difficult one for me because I haven't really come across any cleansers that wow me... EVER. 

I feel cleansing is the most important part of any skincare routine and is what takes off the last of your make up and in general cleans your beautiful face! That’s what it’s all about after all. With brands coming up with so many different forms of cleansing it’s difficult to find a method that works. With oils, balms, gels, milks, foams and waters on the market where do we start! 
I've tried out a few of these methods in hope that I can enlighten you. 

I went through an organic stage for a long time and would only use natural and organic products, during this time I cleansed with the famous 'oil cleansing method'. This is an amazing way to cleanse, it leaves me poreless every time! It gets rid of any makeup and oil on your face. This often confuses people because how can oil get rid of oil, but how does white wine get rid of red wine stains? People are put off by the wiping oil on your face feeling but it does combat oil massively, unfortunately I didn’t understand moderation and used a castor oil/olive oil mix to cleanse twice a day. This worked brilliantly for about a week. It’s really cheap and excellent at getting rid of blemishes but you should only really do this once a week as a mask or once a day at the very most. The result: Spotty Lottie. 

Castor oil

Everyone has either tried or heard of the Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish hot cloth cleanser £26. I would personally class this as a cream more than a balm as it has a creamy texture that feels lovely on the skin. It removes makeup in seconds and with a quick steam and wipe with a muslin cloth, you're done! The quality of this product is worth every penny however it doesn't do much to combat troubled skin and didn't fight my pores or blemishes, I would recommend this to someone with dry/sensitive skin as it is very creamy and gentle. The result: Soft Lottie.  

Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish Hot Cloth Cleanser 200ml
After this I discovered coconut oil, everyone raved about its many uses. It’s fun to use, the way it goes from solid to liquid with a rub of the hands but again too rich to use in high quantities and is known to be comedogenic, for acne prone people like me it should only be used for luxurious face masks and hair treatments! (See my bath time post to hear how I use it in my hair) My organics phase was slowly fizzling out and I ran out of things in the kitchen cupboard to slap on my face. The result: Spotty Lottie.



Raw Coconut Oil


Coconut Oil is think at first but with warmth melts into liquid
After spending out on large bottles of Liz Earle I wanted to try a cheaper alternative. After reading reviews online I decided to go for a plain old fragrance free cleanser and that is how I came to purchase the Eucerin Dermo Purifyer Cleanser, it’s half the price of luxury cleansers at £8 and promises to reduce sebum production which attracted me as this is what most acne pills aim to do. It is a more drying cleanser for this reason however I often don’t moisturise anyway. (naughty)

I was impressed with the results, it leaves me with less pores and I experience no irritation due to there being no fragrance or really harsh chemicals. I like the short ingredient list (some people calorie count, I ingredient count. What can I say.)
However after taking advice from a dermatologist, foaming cleansers shouldn't be anywhere near acne prone skin and even though it’s a nice quick process compared to oil cleansing where lots of steaming and muslin cloths are necessary it isn't worth it. The result: Dry, irritated Lottie. 

I quickly went back to slightly more luxurious cleaners and purchased the Clinique Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm £21. I'd heard good things about this from the persian babe who has also been on Roaccutane. (Read my skin story for more on roaccutane) This balm is soft like butter and doesn't struggle with waterproof makeup in the slightest! The purple tub contains a generous amount of the balm which melts into an oily texture, this makes the balm quite moisturising and easy to remove with a hot muslin cloth. The result: Soft Lottie.  

Clinique Take the day off balm
I have come to terms with the fact that nothing I put on my skin will help with my blemishes as they are hormonal but for some reason I always switch and change in hope that a new cleanser will just HELP. 

If you have a favourite cleanser or any recommendations please leave a comment!

Little Lottie xo


No comments:

Post a Comment